An average passenger car is going to weigh in somewhere around 3,500 to 4,000 pounds. An 18-wheeler fully loaded is going to be about 70 feet long and weigh 80,000 pounds. If that 18-wheeler impacts with a passenger car at highway speeds, the result will be catastrophic. That happens just about every day in the United States.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Most truck accidents are caused by truck drivers. The gigantic pieces of machinery that they’re in control of are far less maneuverable than passenger cars, and they’ll take at least 20% more roadway to come to a complete stop on dry pavement. Here are some of the common causes of truck crashes in and around Maricopa County:
- Distracted driving like texting while driving, talking on a cell phone, watching a movie or loading data into an infotainment center.
- Speeding or driving too fast for traffic or weather conditions.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or a combination of the two
- Violations of state and federal laws that are in place to protect the public against truckers driving while drowsy or fatigued.
- Following a vehicle ahead too closely.
- Abrupt or otherwise unsafe lane changes.
Trucking Company Insurers
Whenever there’s a serious truck crash, insurers of trucking companies know that their potential monetary exposure is big. They’re going to send their own team of investigators out to the accident scene as soon as the accident is reported. In their report, they’re not going to mention any evidence that’s favorable to you. It will be conveniently overlooked.
After being injured or losing a family member in a truck crash that was caused by the carelessness and negligence of a trucking company or its driver in or around Phoenix, you’re going to need your own team too. Contact us to arrange for a free consultation and case evaluation. We’re going to listen to you carefully and answer your questions truthfully. After that, we’re going to advise you on all of your legal alternatives. Don’t speak with that opposing insurance company. It will only use your own words against you in the future. Speak with us first.